Sunday 3 July 2011

Fluffy Family Matters

"Just type something,
It doesn't have to be earth shattering or brilliant
Just say something
."
(Advice to self)
Ok then -
I'm alive, I'm still around blogland
Just tongue tied (or should that be finger-tied?)
For reasons I do not know.
I want to write
Honest I do.
But when I sit down here
I draw a blank.
Time after time.

My life is at a very exciting place (for me anyway)
But somehow I cannot write about it.
Yes its weird
And no, I have no idea what.the.heck. is going on. Ok -



Let me try for one thing. . . .



On Friday night my 10 year old granddaughter, Honey, was with us for a sleep over. DH had been on a biz trp so we had the evening to ourselves, Honey and I. We snuggled up under a fleecy cover and watched a movie about a boy who, at 13 discovers he is turning into a merman.Fascinating stuff.



I continued watching by myself long after she went to sleep. And when DH came home, I told him I just HAD to see the end.

I wonder what that says about me?
I don't care actually.
It was wonderful to disappear into fantasy-land for a couple of hours.
The following afternoon, Honey told me the history of about 20 of her fluffy dogs.
They all have, not only names, but also very definite characters and roles in the 'family of Honey's dogs.'

For eg:
"Granny, this is Lizzy. She is very kind and gentle. She's about 60 and she looks after the orphans." (This about a golden fluffy teddy type dog)
"Then this is Patch - she looks after all the Dalmatians."
(There are about 8 Dalmatians in her collection, all different sizes. Except the twins of course)
"She also helps Lizzy with the orphans. She's a bit stricter than Lizzy although she's still kind to them. She's in her forties."





And so on through all the myriad dogs
Each of them was known and loved like her children.
Intricate histories woven around them all.

And I thought: "How rich is this fantasy world!"
And how grateful I am that this child has managed to keep it intact in the face of all the instant entertainment there is.
And how often we just don't understand -
We just see a bunch of old worn fluffy toys
And think - she's a bit big for these, isnt she?
Not realising what they mean to her.

Wo!
I did it!
I wrote something
*big smile*

5 comments:

  1. So very sweet. I took the time this morning, sat on the couch and let her tell me the about the Dalmation family and one other family (the little mcdonalds dogs that live in the boxes). And yes, how often have i had fights with her about her millions of stuffed animals. and how sad it is that its taken me THIS long to realise just how important they all are. Wonderful post. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love their very rich imagination and think it is really such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats what i love most about children, is their imagination. It is there for so many reasons i don't think we, as parents, are even aware of.

    And only a granny would sit so patiently and listen to her history of dogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...and what a post. I missed you!

    Honey is a healthy little girl with a fantastic fantasy world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's so cute and sweet that your grand daughter came to visit, how you two (or should I say, just you) enjoyed a fantasy movie and how she told you about her fluffy dogs. Glad you all enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete